What is bamboo fabric ?
Bamboo fabric is made from the pulp of the bamboo tree with the most modern and advanced production process. With natural ingredients, bamboo fiber fabric has outstanding advantages such as softness, coolness and good antibacterial. In addition, bamboo fiber fabric has the ability to absorb sweat 3-4 times higher than cotton fabric.
The production process of bamboo fabric is also quite complicated. Bamboo trunks are ground into small fibers. The bamboo fibers are then treated with natural enzymes, drawn and combed into yarns to weave the fabric. The final step will be to dye and wash the fabric to remove dirt.
How is bamboo made into fabric?
The production process includes 2 different methods of bamboo fabric: physical method and chemical method
Because this is a natural fabric, its composition is from wood pulp, so if the manufacturing process is not careful and incorrect, it will easily produce poor quality products.
However, if done manually, it will take a lot of time as well as labor, but the quantity exported to the market is limited, so the price will increase. Therefore, people now apply both physical and chemical methods in the production process of bamboo fabrics
Both of methods have in common that they have to go through the first steps such as: harvesting and selecting, then baling and transport to the factory to prepare for the processes below
- The physical method: the bamboo body is cleaned and separated into small fibers. Then the bamboo fibers will be steamed through the heat, making the stamping and fragmentation step easier. Next, people will de-glue with biological enzymes and comb the fibers. These fibers are considered natural raw fibers and are woven into fabrics. This process is considered as the most natural method of producing bamboo fiber fabric, so it takes a lot of time as well as labor and hence the cost of the fabric is also higher.
- The chemical method: bamboo will be cleaned and separated into small fibers. These bamboo fibers are then ground into powder. Then, people will add some non-toxic additives to form a fine bamboo powder mixture. The next step will be to regenerate them into chemical bamboo fibers – also known as Cellulose. The final product will be woven into bamboo fabric. Compared to the physical weaving process, this process saves more time and labor, thereby reducing costs. However, the durability and softness are not equal
Where is bamboo fabric manufactured ?
Bamboo fabric is mainly produced in Asia, where bamboo grows naturally in abundance. China is the world’s largest bamboo exporter. But India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Indonesia are also important producers and exporters. Bamboo is a relatively easy plant to grow, so Europe and the United States have also begun to grow a significant amount of bamboo, for use in the textile industry. However, most of the bamboo grown in the United States and Europe is for domestic use, so very little of this is exported.
Why is bamboo fabric sustainable ?
Bamboo is an incredibly useful plant that can regenerate very quickly. Although hard as wood, it is actually a grass, and can grow more than a meter per day. Bamboo requires very little water, no need to spray pesticides or fertilizers to grow. Plus, bamboo absorbs five times more carbon dioxide and releases 35% more oxygen into the air, compared to trees of the same size. Therefore, growing bamboo to produce fabric is good for our environment.
Prosperities of bamboo fabric
- Soft and breathable
- Antibacterial – keeps you odour free and feeling and smelling fresh
- Highly sweat absorbent (pulls moisture from skin for evaporation – moisture wicking) – keeps you dry
- Powerfully insulating – keeps you cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Bamboo fabric cooler than cotton
- Naturally UV protectant – protect yourself from skin cancer
- Hypoallergenic – natural bamboo does not cause allergic reactions
Is bamboo fabric safe for babies ?
Bamboo fabric is not only safe but also a good choice for your child. Bamboo fabric is good insulation, so it helps your baby keep warm when it’s cool and cool when it’s hot. Bamboo can grow without pesticides, insecticides and therefore it is 100% organic. And you can learn more about the characteristics of bamboo fabric with above information to make your own decision.
For more information about sustainable fashion
If you are in UK, you can visit this store for bamboo clothing
Why You Should Start Wearing Bamboo Fabric
PET Plastic Recycling By Breakthrough Enzyme Technology
New discovery: Beetle Larva can eat and decompose Styrofoam
Hope To solve Plastic Pollution Thanks To Bacteria
Blood snow an abnormal signal of climate change
Special beer made from recycled toilet waste in in Singapore
Effective Way To Recycle Cotton Into New Fabric
Climate Change and Sustainability School
The Invention Of A “plastic-eating enzyme” Reduces Plastic Pollution
Single-use Plastic Carryout Bags Will Be Forbidden In New Jersey Beginning May 4, 2022